Partially Hydrolyzed Formula vs Extensively Hydrolyzed Formula
Let’s start with the basic!
Standard protein formula
Standard protein formula is also known as full size protein formula. In standard formula, the protein is not processed at all. They’re exactly the same size as when they first came from the cow. That is a big size. The proteins in cow’s milk are significantly larger than those in breast milk.
Most healthy babies are good enough to handle these large proteins! Although it needs more digestive effort to absorb.
Full-size proteins are listed as “nonfat milk,” “milk protein isolate,” or “whey protein” (a component of cow’s milk protein) on the ingredient list. These are the normal formulations, which include full-size proteins.
However, some babies may have trouble digesting standard cow’s milk-based formulas. In this case, your baby may need Hydrolyzed Formula.
Hydrolyzed Formula is milk-based formula where the cow’s milk proteins are broken down into smaller pieces, make it easier to digest. It is also suitable for babies who have a milk allergy or intolerance.
Types of hydrolyzed formula:
A. Partially Hydrolyzed Formula
This formula is made by breaking down the proteins in cow’s milk formula into small pieces. Hydrolyzed proteins formula require less processing to absorb, it is good option for some newborns or infants who have difficulty digesting full-size proteins or have a history of digestive problems.
However, this formula is not a good option for babies with severe milk allergy because they are not broken down small enough.
B. Fully / Extensively Hydrolyzed Formula
Formula that has been extensively hydrolyzed may be a good option for babies who are allergic to cow’s milk. This breaks down the milk proteins into even smaller pieces, making them easier to digest.
Hydrolyzed Formula List
A. Partially Hydrolyzed Formula List
B. Extensively Hydrolyzed Formula List
A. Partially Hydrolyzed Formula
1. Enfamil Enspire Gentlease Infant Formula (0-12 months)
Enfamil Enspire Gentlease Infant Formula reviews:
2. Gerber Good Start SoothePro Formula (0-12 months)
Soothing Nutrition: Modeled after the complete nutrition and gentleness of breastmilk, this formula offers nutrition for babies up to 12 months experiencing colic, excessive crying, fussiness and gas. Comfort Proteins to help provide comfort for your little one’s tummy.
Gerber Good Start SoothePro Formula reviews:
We got this bulk pack of sensitive stomach formula right before COVID, thankfully! When we switched to this purple / sensitive stomach Gerber formula, our little one pretty much stopped spitting up completely. She didn’t cry like she was gassy after eating, etc.
We used it for our first baby, just weened our second off 2 months ago, and are expecting a third in a few months, and this will be our only go-to baby formula!
Get this one if you can’t decide!
3. Similac Pro-Total Comfort Infant Formula (0-12 months)
Similac Pro Total Comfort Infant Formula reviews:
4. Enfamil Reguline Infant Formula (0-12 months)
Enfamil Reguline Infant formula is designed with prebiotics proven* to promote soft, comfortable stools within the first week of use.
Our Enfamil Reguline formula is complete nutrition for your little one through 12 months of age, designed specifically for babies who struggle to poop. When your baby is struggling to poop, no one is happy. Help ease those hard-to-go scenarios and help make your baby more comfortable with Enfamil Reguline.
– Prebiotics proven* to promote soft, comfortable stools within the first week of use
– Nutritionally complete formula that can be used throughout the first year
– A blend of two prebiotics to support digestive health
Enfamil Reguline Infant Formula reviews:
Our pediatrician switched us to this after my son was very constipated, hes been being combination fed with this & it works wonders!!
5. Earth's Best Organic Gentle Infant Formula (0-12 months)
Earth’s Best Organic Gentle Infant Formula with Iron is designed especially for babies with difficulty digesting proteins. It has partially hydrolyed whey and 25% the amount of lactose found in our standard, milk based formula to help reduce fussiness, gas and crying.
Made with organic dairy and fortified with iron, it also contains lutein for eyes and prebiotic fiber for immunity. All Earth’s Best Organic formula is produced from organic milk from cows fed certified organic grain and hay that are grown without synthetic pesticides or fertilizers.
B. Extensively Hydrolyzed Formula List
6. Enfamil Nutramigen Infant Formula, Hypoallergenic and Lactose Free Formula with Enflora LGG
– FAST RELIEF NOW: As early as the first feeding, with 90% of infants improving within 48 hours
– INCLUDES LGG: The most extensively studied probiotic for allergy management and supporting the digestive health of your baby
– BRAIN SUPPORT: Nutramigen is a gentle, lactose free baby formula that has important nutrients found in breast milk such as Omega-3 DHA, ARA, and Choline that provide brain support
– IMMUNE SUPPORT: Helps support baby’s immune system to return to consuming traditional milk protein formula without an allergic response
Enfamil Nutramigen Infant Formula reviews:
7. Gerber Good Start Baby Formula Powder, Extensive HA, Hypoallergenic, Stage 1
For Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy: Cow’s milk protein allergy is the most common allergy among infants. This formula features 100 percent high-quality whey protein, broken down into tiny pieces and is designed to be well-tolerated
Gerber Good Start Extensive HA reviews:
8. Mama Bear Hypoallergenic Infant Formula Powder with Iron, Non-GMO (0-12 months)
Mama Bear Hypoallergenic baby formula, clinically studied for colic due to cow’s milk allergy; compare to the nutrition of Nutramigen and Similac Alimentum.
– BABY’S COMFORT IN MIND: Easy-to-digest proteins help reduce crying and fussiness from colic due to cow’s milk allergy; complete nutrition through 12 months
– DIGESTIVE HEALTH: A probiotic helps support your baby’s digestive health; no artificial growth hormones; non-GMO ingredients; gluten free; certified kosher by the Orthodox Union-(U)D
– BRAIN SUPPORT: DHA helps support brain development
Mama Bear Hypoallergenic Infant Formula reviews:
This is the same as the other store-brand hypoallergenic formulas like at Target, Kroger, etc. I’m finding that those places have been low or out lately, so this has been a very convenient alternative source for what is the same formula.
I’ve found that the store-brand does not mix quite as well as Nutramigen, but as long as I shake well, any clumps left at the beginning are gone by the time my daughter finishes her bottle. Huge money saver! Highly recommend this formula!
9. Enfamil Pregestimil Infant Formula
Pregestimil is specially designed for infants who experience fat malabsorption & who may also be sensitive to intact proteins.
It contains 55% fat from MCT oil, which is more easily absorbed by babies with some GI problems.
- Hypoallergenic suitable for someone with lactose intolerance
- 55% of the fat from MCT oil
- Designed for infants with fat malabsorption problems
- Has DHA & ARA—important nutrients also found in breast milk that promote brain & eye development
- Perfect for plan-ahead feedings
Enfamil Pregestimil Infant Formula reviews:
I wish you guys had this formula at stores! It’s so hard to find! So great for preemies! My daughter was a micro preemie and this is the only milk she was able to tolerate!
10. Hipp HA (hypoallergenic) Formula Stage 1 from Birth 600g
Hipp HA formula is a hypoallergenic formula which is suitable for babies with milk protein allergy. Milk protein can be an important factor to trigger allergies. The Hypoallergenic (HA) protein diet contains milk which is split in simple molecules. This reduces the risk of allergies. The protein formula used in Hipp is completely hydrolyzed and was proven by studies to prevent allergies.
A low-allergen diet cannot give complete protection but reduces the risk of allergies in infants. The HA formula should stay constant for 4 to 6 months in order to produce best results. A small amount of non-hydrolyzed protein can promote sensitivity and destroy the benefits of the low-allergen diet.
Hipp HA Formula reviews:
a. Extreme Irritability
If your baby cries for long periods of time and/or seems unconsolable, it may be a good idea to discuss this with your doctor. He can evaluate your baby further and help diagnose a cow’s milk allergy. In this case, switching to a hypoallergenic baby formula may help your baby’s symptoms.
b. Family History of Food Allergies
If you or a member of your family has a history of food allergies, your baby is more likely to have one as well. An extensive French study done in 2019 showed a strong genetic link in cow’s milk protein allergies (CMPA).
c. Constant diarrhea / vomiting
d. Your baby has acid reflux (GERD)
Acid reflux is what happens when stomach contents and acid flow back up into the throat. This is a common problem in infants, especially those below 3 months old. Hypoallergenic formula may help reduce the symptoms.
Your baby’s skin is sensitive, which can make it difficult to tell the difference between dry skin and eczema. Eczema is extreme dry skin that is red, inflamed, itchy, and often cracked. Babies with eczema are more likely to develop food allergies and oftentimes will develop skin symptoms before other food allergy symptoms appear. (Source)
If your baby is wheezing or experiencing other respiratory issues, your baby may need immediate medical attention. See a doctor as quickly as possible.