Best Soy Formula for Babies in USA 2022
Soy formulas are made with soy, it means they contain soy protein. These formulae are marketed to people with lactose intolerance and galactosemia, both of which are uncommon in babies. In soy formula, the term “soy protein isolate” may appear on the ingredient list. These are the standard formulations, which include full-size soy proteins.
Soy Milk Pros & Cons
1. Soy for Lactose Intolerance
For babies with lactose sensitivity, soy formulas are frequently advised. Lactose intolerance happens when your baby is unable to digest naturally occurring sugars in cow’s milk that might cause extreme irritability and gastrointestinal side effects such as diarrhea.
2. Nutrients in Soy Milk
Soy milk is fortified with some of the same micronutrients found in cow’s milk – such as calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, phosphorous, vitamin A, and vitamin B-12. Soy milk also has comparable amount of protein as cow’s milk, but with very little saturated fat and no cholesterol.
3. Soy for Cow’s Milk Allergy
Soy-protein formulas are widely used for feeding children with CMA. Cow’s milk allergy is an adverse immune response associated with a clinical reaction due to the binding of specific immunoglobulin (IgE) to antigens/proteins in cow’s milk (IgE), which could induce an allergic reaction in sensitized individuals. It is the most common type of food allergy, affecting <2% of children under 4 years of age (Source)
However, best consult a doctor first before taking soy formula because some infants with cow’s milk allergy also react to soy.
4. Long-Term Health Considerations
Although a few studies on the safety of soy in young children have been conducted, but long-term safety data are very limited. Furthermore, the protein may cause stomach pain, diarrhea, and a lack of bowel motions, among other things.
Because of the safety concerns around soy, pediatricians usually only recommend it for babies with medical issue or for cultural / religious reasons.
Best Soy Formula for Babies in USA
A. Soy Milk Formula for 0-12 months
B. Soy Milk Formula for 1 Year above
A. Soy Milk Formula for 0-12 months
1. Similac Soy Isomil Infant Formula with Iron
Similac Soy Isomil Infant Formula is the formula for complete soy nutrition. Our baby formula is a nutritionally complete, soy-based infant formula that is iron-fortified and naturally lactose-free. Features OptiGRO, our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein and Vitamin E, special nutrients found in breast milk that are important for helping support baby’s brain and eye development.
– Soothe sensitive tummies
Similac Soy Isomil Infant Formula Review
2. Gerber Good Start Baby Formula Powder, Soy, Lactose Free, Stage 1
Modeled after the complete nutrition & gentleness of breastmilk, this Plant Based Protein & Lactose Free formula is designed for babies who need non dairy milk solutions. This lactose free formula provides plant based protein along with Calcium & Vitamin D for strong bones & teeth & DHA for brain & eye development
– Comfort your baby’s tummy
– Brain and eye development
Gerber Goos Start Soy Formula Review
3. Earth's Best Non GMO Plant Based Baby Formula
– Omega-3 DHA and Omega-6 ARA help support brain and eye health
– Kosher certified
– Made with non-GMO ingredients
Earth’s Best Soy Based Powder Review
My first born was a VERY picky, sensitive eater during her newborn phase. However, we found that Earths Best formula agreed with her tummy. When we had our second, we knew Earths Best would be our go-to formula…and, his tummy has tolerated it, too. Hoorah!
Weve found the consistency to be comparable to most other, widely known formula brands…however, we havent had any adverse reactions! No spitting up, no diarrhea, no gas. Its great! We would highly recommend it!!
4. Enfamil ProSobee Simply Plant Based Infant Formula
Our ProSobee Formula is suitable for infants with lactose intolerance & is perfect for families with special dietary needs (i.e. vegetarian, Kosher, etc.) as a dairy-free alternative to milk-based formula. Enfamil ProSobee is also designed to help ease fussiness and gas sometimes caused by milk-based formulas.
– Plant-based alternative to milk-based formula
– Helps ease fussiness & gas caused by sensitivity to milk-based formulas
– Great for following special dietary guidelines, like families who require vegetarian or Kosher diets
– Same amount of brain-nourishing DHA as other routine Enfamil formulas
Enfamil ProSobee Simply Plant Based Infant Formula Review
We recently discovered that our son has a sensitivity to milk, making this a perfect alternative. We tried Nutramigen prior to ProSobee and this works so much better for us. It’s gentle on his stomach and doesn’t have the displeasing smell!
5. Mama Bear Soy-Based Powder Infant Formula with Iron
Lactose-free Mama Bear Soy Baby Formula is suitable for babies who may be sensitive to lactose in milk-based infant formulas. Compare to Similac Soy Isomil & Enfamil ProSobee*
Mama Bear Soy Baby Formula reduces fussiness and gas so your lactose-sensitive baby can be more comfortable. Complete soy nutrition for babies from birth to 12 months, lactose-free, and gluten-free. Mama Bear Soy Baby Formula contains complete soy nutrition for the first year of life. Vitamin E, lutein and DHA, an omega-3 fatty acid, iron & 100% soy protein, plus over 25 vitamins and minerals to fuel baby’s growth and development.
Mama Bear Soy Based Formula Review
B. Soy Milk Formula for 1 Year above
6. Gerber Good Start Gentle Soy Formula
Made with soy proteins to ease digestion for tiny tummies that are milk or lactose intolerant, this formula is milk & lactose Free with DHA to help support brain & eye development.
– Gerber Goodness: Our foods start with whole ingredients like real fruits, veggies & grains to help nourish your baby right from the start, From infant Formula to baby food to snacks and toddler food
– Nutrition for Growing: like your baby, we’re always growing & learning. More than ever we’re committed to being your partner in parenthood with quality ingredients, nutritious food & expert guidance.
– Lactose Free Nutrition: good start soy formula helps to avoid fussiness & gas due to milk or lactose intolerance for digestive comfort while providing complete nutrition. For babies 9 to 24 months old.
Gerber Good Start Gentle Soy Stage 2 Review
7. Similac Go & Grow Soy Based Toddler Drink with Iron
Similac Go & Grow Soy can help ensure little ones are getting the balanced nutrition necessary for growth and development, with the gentleness of soy to help ease fussiness and gas. Similac has a unique blend of DHA and Lutein important nutrients during this critical time of brain and eye development.
– Only leading brand with no palm olein oil for strong bones
– Support your baby’s developing immune system, brain and eyes, and also helps to build strong bones
According to American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), cow’s milk formula is still the next best thing to breast milk for the majority of newborns. However, some infants who can’t digest cow’s milk, it is best to avoid cow milk formula and start using soy milk formula.
With the growing awareness of the potential health benefits of soy products, parents may opt for this type of formula in the belief that it is better for their babies. The popularity of soy formulas among American parents has grown, with one out of every four parents now choosing for soy. But the AAP says it may not be so. And while the academy doesn’t claim that soy formula will lead to the development of health problems, some experts aren’t so sure.
Yes, you can switch soy formula to milk based formula.
Some newborns, on the other hand, may take milk formula excessively, resulting in diarrhea or stomach discomfort. If your baby has been on soy-based formula, it’s important to transition him or her to milk-based formula gradually. The cow matures during the course of three weeks. It’s better to continue using the same formula for the third week.