Best Arthritis Pain Relief Products 2022
Arthritis is the swelling and tenderness of one or more joints. The main symptoms of arthritis are joint pain and stiffness, which can worsen with age. The most common types of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
If you have mild or moderate arthritis joint pain, a topical pain reliever may be useful to help ease the symptoms. Topical painkillers are available as creams, gels, roll-on and patches. They work to reduce pain in several ways.
Types of topical pain relief
A. Topical NSAIDs
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in topical form. Topical NSAIDs penetrate the skin and help reduce pain locally. They work best on joints that are closer to the surface, such as the hands, knees, elbows and ankles. However, they should not be used if you are also taking oral NSAIDS.
Arnica is a sunflower family herb whose flowers are used medicinally to treat stiffness and pain. Moreover, arnica has anti-inflammatory properties which may help ease arthritis symptoms.
Menthol, methyl salicylate (evergreen oil), and camphor are among the ingredients. They can produce a burning or cooling sensation over the painful joint or muscle, which may help soothe painful arthritis joints.
Lidocaine is another alternative pain remedy for arthritis joint pain. It comes in the form of a gel or a patch that is applied to the sore area. If you have liver problems or take heart rhythm medications, consult your doctor first.
Capsaicin, the active element in hot chili peppers, is also one of the most efficient ingredients for can treating joint pain due to arthritis and other painful musculoskeletal conditions. However, the burning sensation may be too intense for some people, so you should try it on a small area first.
Some creams include the same chemicals that give aspirin its pain-relieving effects. They may aid with pain when absorbed into the skin, especially in joints near to the skin, such as the fingers, knees, and elbows. If you are sensitive to aspirin or take a medication that may interact with aspirin, talk with your doctor before using a salicylate.
Best Arthritis Pain Relief Products (Arthritis Cream, Gel, Roll On & Patches)
A. Topical NSAIDs
F. Trolamine Salicylate
A. Topical NSAID Gel
Topical NSAIDs are less likely than oral NSAIDs to cause gastrointestinal side effects or to interact with other medications, although elderly people may be more susceptible to these effects. Short-lived, mild redness at the site of application is the most commonly reported side effect. (Source)
1. Voltaren Arthritis Pain Gel for Topical Arthritis Pain Relief
Voltaren arthritis pain gel cream contains diclofenac, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Diclofenac works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation.
While most topical arthritis pain relief products heat or cool the surface of the skin, Voltaren Arthritis Pain Gel treats the pain. The Voltaren emulgel formula, which combines a cream and a gel, penetrates deep through the skin to deliver powerful arthritis pain relief. When applied to the skin it creates a cooling and moisturizing effect. That’s the Voltaren difference – topical arthritis pain relief when and where you need it.
– No Prescription Needed | Topical anti inflammatory cream over the counter
Voltaren Arthritis Pain Gel Reviews:
2. GoodSense Arthritis Pain Relieving Gel, Diclofenac Sodium Topical Ge
This arthritis pain reliever contains diclofenac sodium, an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) 1 percent (equivalent to 0.93 percent diclofenac); compare to the active ingredient in Voltaren Arthritis Pain
For the temporary relief of arthritis pain ONLY in the following areas: hand, wrist, elbow (upper body areas); foot, ankle and knee (lower body areas)
B. Arnica Cream & Patches
3. Penetrex Joint and Muscle Therapy Cream - Best Muscle and Joint Relief Cream
– Penetrex Pain Relief Cream
– Intensive Concentrate for Relief & Recovery
4. Topricin Pain Relief Therapy Cream
Topricin is moisturizing, non-irritating, odorless and non-staining. It supports the body’s natural processes that work to Heal the Cells Causing the Pain. Topricin has 22-years of history in the medical community and is used by hundreds of thousands all over the world.
Topricin contains 11-natural biomedicines delivering reliable pain relief, improving quality-of-life, and providing a strong adjunct to professional care with no side effects and won’t interfere with other medications
The safest alternative for people who cannot tolerate prescription and non-prescription OTC oral pain medication. It stimulates and supports your body’s desire to “”Heal the Cells that are Causing the Pain””. Topricin is safe effective and ideal treatment for the entire family and for all skin types.
– Topricin Pain Relief Cream
– Best cream for muscle knots
4.4 out of 5 – more than 4,800 global ratings
It works wonders on the muscle knots in my shoulders.
5. Kneipp Arnica Joint & Muscle Intensive Cream
Kneipp arnica cream contains arnica tincture for a powerful dose of botanical soothing benefits released by nature. Overworked, exhausted muscles and pangs don’t stand a chance against this intensive solution. It is easy to apply and fast acting so you can get back to your schedule.
– Vegan and contain no harmful preservatives, parabens or mineral oils.
– Soothe and comfort joints and muscles
– Best pain relief cream for joint pain
Benefits of Arnica Extract
– Help reduce pain related to sore muscles and joints
– Help heal bruises faster
– Aid in reducing swelling and inflammation
– Help speed recovery
– Help ease joint stiffness and aches
– Help reduce swelling from insect bites
4.5 out of 5 – more than 400 global ratings
I was looking for a non-greasy cream to alleviate sore muscles and joints ‘the day after’ all day gardening work. This cream is non-greasy once worked into the skin and my muscles did not feel sore the next day. Arnica is known to help with bruised skin. Will buy this again and check out other products offered by Kneipp.
Sent it to a friend recently and it was a great success
6. Natural Patches Of Vermont Arnica Muscle & Joint Comfort Essential Oil Body Patch
This potent blend of stimulating and strengthening aromatics act to provide a sense of comfort and invigoration to tired and sore muscles and joints.
– Aromatherapy Body Patches
– Easy to apply patches
– Leaves no greasy residue
– May be worn up to 24 hours; Made in Vermont
C. Counterirritants Ointment, Cream & Patches
7. Tiger Balm Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Ointment
TIGER BALM Pain Relieving Ointment, Sports Ultra is formulated to provide temporary relief from minor aches in the muscles and joints. It soothe discomfort associated with overexertion, backaches, arthritis, strains, and sprains
This sports rub ointment is made with camphor (11%), menthol (11%), cajuput oil, cassia oil, clove oil, dementholized mint oil, and paraffin petrolatum. Avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes. Do not apply to open wounds or damaged skin. Do not bandage or use a heating pad with this ointment
My mother who has been suffering from arthritis for nearly two last decades still swears by Tiger Balm. And mother always knows best, right?
8. Bengay Ultra Strength Topical Pain Relief Cream
4-ounce tube of non-greasy Bengay Ultra Strength Topical Pain Relief Cream to ease backaches, minor arthritis, muscle, and joint pain. Topical analgesic contains three pain-relieving ingredients—camphor, menthol, and methyl salicylate, for ultra-strong relief in a non-greasy cream. Bengay is a physician-recommended OTC topical analgesic. Contains more pain-relieving ingredients than any other Bengay product.
– Arthritis pain relief cream
– Non Greasy
– Relieves the minor aches and pains of muscles and joints
9. Wu Yang Brand Pain Relieving Medicated Plaster (40 Plasters per Box)
Wu Yang Brand Pain Relieving Medicated Plaster is a must-have in your house to ease minor aches such as back pain and works to ease minor aches such as back pain, muscle pain, and pain stemming from injury and fatigue. Apply the adhesive patch to the affected area and it will do the rest!
– Direct relief to the affected area of the body without harsh side effects.
– Alternative remedy for simple backaches and pain stemming from injury, sprains, strains, and bruises.
10. Salonpas Pain Relieving Patch, LARGE, 6 Count
Pain Relieving Patch – Effective for large pain areas, these comfortable & convenient topical patches have 3 powerful pain fighters that work at the site of pain. Analgesics include camphor, menthol & methyl salicylate.
With rounded corners & flexible fabric, application is easy & the patches bend with your movements. The patches stay where you need them & are easy to remove. Provides temporary relief of pain associated with sore back, neck, wrist, ankle, hip, shoulder, knee & elbow. Help alleviate muscle soreness, backache, joint pain & sprains.
11. Biofreeze Pain Relief Roll-On
3 oz. roll-on offers hands-free application via massaging roller ball and is TSA-approved, making it suitable for travel. Unique cooling menthol formula is backed by science and research-proven to deliver fast acting, long lasting and deep penetrating pain relief for sore muscles, backaches, sore joints, and arthritis
– Fast pain relief
– pProduct is not tested on animals, made with USP grade ingredients
– Free of NSAIDs, parabens, and propylene glycol
D. Lidocaine Cream, Patches & Roll On
Is numbing cream safe?
Topical lidocaine is typically safe when used sparingly and as advised. Misuse, overuse, or overdose, on the other hand, can result in a variety of serious health issues.
But if you have concerning side effects, stop using it and consult to your doctor.
12. Aspercreme with Lidocaine Maximum Strength Pain Relief Cream
One (1) 4.3-ounce bottle of Aspercreme with Lidocaine Maximum Strength Pain Relief Cream. Topical numbing creme with 4% lidocaine targets more pain receptors to numb away minor pains with no irritation or burning Among counterirritant topical pain relievers.
– Fast acting Formula
– Fragrance-free and non-greasy.
– Where to Use: Back, Neck, Shoulder, Knee, Elbow, Hand, Wrist, Foot
Aspercreme with Lidocaine Reviews:
13. Bengay Pain Relieving Lidocaine Cream, Non-Greasy Topical Analgesic Cream
Best arthritis cream for knees
This pain reliever cream works to desensitize aggravated nerves with the numbing relief of maximum strength 4% lidocaine HCl as an active ingredient.
– A fresh tropical jasmine scent
– Great for back, neck, shoulder, knee, elbow, hand & wrist pain, as well as backaches, joint pain and arthritis
I rub this on both knees b4 bed and it’s working wonders thus far.
I’d recommend using this to anyone who suffers arthritis type pains!
14. Aspercreme Max Strength Lidocaine Pain Relief Patch (Odor Free Pain Patches)
Contains five (5) Aspercreme Odor Free Max Strength Lidocaine Pain Relief Patches for Back Pain and More
– Aspercreme Pain Relieving Patches is odor free formula
– Fast Acting
– Long Lasting Pain Patch, up to 12 hours.
15. Aspercreme Odor Free Max Strength Lidocaine Pain Relief Liquid With Roll-On
Contains two (2) 2.25-oz. roll-on bottles of Aspercreme Odor Free Max Strength Lidocaine Pain Relief Liquid for discreet pain relief when you need it most.
– Numbs tough muscle pain, joint pain and back pain
– Dries quickly and won’t leave behind any greasy residue
E. Capsaicin Cream, Gel & Patches
There are no major safety concerns in applying capsaicin gel/cream. You may feel a burning sensation when the gel touches your skin. This is because capsaicin also binds to specific receptors in nerve endings called VR1, producing a burning sensation which isn’t caused by any tissue damage. Brief skin redness is common, but high doses of capsaicin can cause skin blisters. (Source)
However, the burning sensation may be too intense for some people, so you should try it on a small area first.
16. NOW Solutions, Joint & Muscle Cream with Capsaicin and Boswellia
Formulated for use on the skin surrounding active joints and muscles. This product contains glucosamine, a compound normally found in the articular cartilage of joints, as well as boswellia, capsacin, and methyl salicylate.
– Paraben Free
– Cruelty Free
– GMP Quality Assured
NOW Solution Capsaicin and Boswellia Cream Reviews:
17. Capzasin Arthritis Pain Relief Quick Relief Gel
Active Ingredients: Capsaicin (0.025%), Menthol (10%). Temporarily relieves minor pain associated with arthritis, simple backache, muscle strains, muscle sprains, bruises, cramps.
– Using the sponge-top applicator, massage dispensed gel into painful area until thoroughly absorbed
– Repeat as necessary, but no more than 3 to 4 times daily
It’s a little hot on your skin but very effective for pain relief. The best product I’ve tried so far for aching joints.
18. MQ Capsicum Plaster Pain Relieving Hot Patch
This patch is made with extract of capsicum and herba menthae. For temporary relief of minor aches & pains of muscles & joints associated with arthritis, simple backache, strains, bruises, sprains.
– Safe, natural and non-addictive transdermal patch delivers an effective dose of capsicum extract, patch lets skin “breathe” with multiple holes
– Treats shoulders, upper and lower back, elbows, knees, ankles, can be worn up to 8 hours at a time.
F. Trolamine Salicylate
Both drugs can temporarily ease minor pain.
Trolamine salicylate belongs to a class of drugs known as salicylates. While Menthol and methyl salicylate are known as counterirritants because they work by causing the skin to feel cool and then warm.
19. Blue-Emu Pain Relief Cream Maximum Arthritis
Active Ingredients: Trolamine Salicylate (10%). Used for temporarily relieves minor pain associated with arthritis, simple backache muscle strains, sprains, bruises and cramps. Deep penetrating and long lasting.
– Odor free.
– American’s #1 EMU oil formula.
– Contains EMU oil.
Blue Emu Pain Relief Cream Maximum Arthritis Reviews:
20. Aspercreme Maximum Strength Pain Relief Cream with Aloe
Maximum strength Aspercreme is a topical pain relief cream. Trolamine salicylate 10% is the active ingredient, a topical analgesic. Trolamine is applied to where you need it, providing targeted therapy. Rub directly onto the affected area, such as your back or knee.
Aspercreme does not include aspirin. Aspirin is a salicylate, closely related to trolamine salicylate, the active ingredient in Aspercreme. If you are allergic to aspirin, consult your doctor before using Aspercreme.
– Best pain relief cream for tendonitis
There are lots of different types of arthritis.
Arthritis symptoms you experience will vary depending on the type you have.
This is why it’s important to have an accurate diagnosis if you have:
- joint pain, tenderness and stiffness
- inflammation in and around the joints
- restricted movement of the joints
- warm red skin over the affected joint
- weakness and muscle wasting
The two main types of arthritis — osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis — damage joints in different ways.
Osteoarthritis occurs when the cartilage that cushions the ends of bones in your joints gradually deteriorates. While Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease; the immune system attacks the joints, beginning with the lining of joints.