12 BEST ZINC SUPPLEMENTS FOR SENIOR 2022
Although zinc may fall last on an alphabetical list of minerals, some people go to it first as a cold remedy. Taken in lozenge form, these products may boost the immune system and may shorten the duration of a cold, according to some studies.
Lack of Zinc
Zinc deficiency is common in seniors, which may negatively impact the immune system and increase the likelihood of COVID-19. Its deficiency can play an essential role in the aging process and cause the nervous system’s degenerative diseases.
In the United States, about 12 % of the population is probably at risk for zinc deficiency, and as many as 40% of the elderly have a zinc deficiency. Experts say it is mainly due to inadequate dietary intake and less absorption of this essential nutrient.
Even more popular at the moment is the role of zinc and the potential benefits against COVID-19. This is probably one of the reasons that’s driving the demand on zinc related products. There are many zinc studies underway and you can review the status of these trials on clinicaltrials.gov. As of September 2021, there are more than 20 studies that have been launched to investigate the benefits of Zinc against COVID-19.
Related: Best Zinc Supplement 2022
In addition, The zinc supplements in this review are all manufactured by reputable companies that follow Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP), use high quality ingredients, and test for purity and quality.
Here are the best zinc supplements for seniors to meet their nutritional needs. As everyone has their own set of criteria, the best option might be different from one person to another.
1. Nature's Bounty Zinc 50 mg Caplets - Amazon Best Seller
About this item:
- One vegetarian-friendly caplet a day contributes to carbohydrate, protein, fat and energy metabolism, and helps promote wellness in key areas of reproductive health for men.* Moreover, it plays a key role in the synthesis of testosterone.*
- *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations, when provided.
2. Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Zinc - Best Vegan Option
While it’s not always obvious, some supplements can contain animal-derived ingredients, making the product unsuitable for vegans.
Some commonly used ingredients that aren’t vegan-friendly include digestive enzymes like lipase, caprylic acid from milk, gelatin, and magnesium stearate, which is often pork-derived.
Garden of Life is a whole-foods-based supplement brand with products that are certified organic and non-GMO verified.
Their Vitamin Code Raw Zinc is a good option for vegans, as it’s third-party tested to ensure the product is vegan, as well as gluten-free.
In addition to providing 30 mg of plant-based zinc, each serving also contains vitamin C, a raw organic fruit and vegetable blend, and live probiotics and enzymes to support healthy digestion.
It’s recommended that adults take one serving of 2 capsules per day with or without meals. For those who have difficulty swallowing pills, the capsules can also be opened to pour the contents into a glass of water or other beverage.
3. Sandhu's Zinc Quercetin 120 Vegetarian Capsules - Best Zinc and Quercetin
- Supports immune system health
- 60 servings per bottle
- Supports cardiovascular health
4. Zinc Lozenges with Vitamin C - 25mg of Zinc Supplement Per Lozenge + 30mg of Vitamin C
Amazon’s Choice for Zinc Supplements | OneDayMD‘s Best Seller for Immune Health Support
About this item:
- Nutritionally Supports a Healthy Immune System
- Formulated with a perfect balance of 25 mg of Zinc, 30 mg of Vitamin C, 2mg of Vitamin B6, 20 mcg (800 IU) of Vitamin D3 and a Proprietary Blend of Royal Jelly, White Willow Bark Ext., and Slippery Elm Bark Powder
- Fruit Flavored to provide children zinc lozenges without a large amount of added sugars
- Internally tested and third party tested to ensure purity and potency so you get the highest quality vitamin
- Made in the USA in a FDA Registered & Inspected Facility, under Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s)
5. Nature's Bounty Immune 24 Hour + - Editor's Choice for Immune Health
Zinc dosage for senior:
Men over age 60 do not usually meet their recommended daily zinc needs. On average, males in this demographic get 9.4 milligrams per day, slightly less than the recommendation, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements. In some cases, your doctor may suggest taking a daily multivitamin or zinc supplement to further boost your zinc intake. Zinc can be toxic at high doses, causing severe gastrointestinal problems. It is unlikely to get excessive amounts of zinc from your diet, but you can overdose on supplements.
About this item:
- Softgels contain Zinc (15 mg per serving daily; 136% of daily value), Vitamin A, C, D3, B6, B12, Biotin, Folate, Panthotenic Acid, Magnesium, Echinacea, Elderberry, Astralagus.
- THE ONLY VITAMIN C WITH 24-HOUR IMMUNE SUPPORT: Nature’s Bounty Immune 24 Hour + contains 1000mg of Ester-C, the only clinically studied Vitamin C with 24-hour immune support. Ester-C lasts up to 2x longer than regular Vitamin C
- PLUS VITAMIN D & ZINC, WITH ELDERBERRY AND ECHINACEA: Immune 24 Hour + provides Vitamin D, Vitamin A and Zinc for extra immune plus antioxidant support. Also contains Elderberry and Echinacea, plus 9 essential nutrients to help keep you healthy
- SUPPORTS UPPER RESPIRATORY HEALTH: Highly bioavailable Ester-C can increase Vitamin C levels in the body, which is important for white blood cell function, contributing to the health of the upper respiratory tract
- NON-GMO FORMULA: Nature’s Bounty Immune 24 Hour + is Non-GMO and contains No artificial flavor or artificial sweeteners, no sugar, no starch, no milk, no lactose, no soy, no gluten, no wheat, no yeast, no fish, sodium free
- RAPID RELEASE SOFTGELS: For adults, Take 2 softgels daily, preferably with a meal.
6. Zicam Cold Remedy Rapidmelts - Best Pharmacist Recommended Brand
Amazon Reviews: 4.8 out of 5. More than 9,000 ratings and customer reviews.
Pharmacy Times: #1 ranking for zinc cold remedies.
About this item
- Zicam Cold Remedy RapidMelts Zinc Tablets: These non-drowsy cold remedy tablets contain zinc, which helps shorten the length of colds when taken at the first sign; Getting better tastes better with Zicam Cold Remedy
- Zicam RapidMelts Cold Remedy: Our quick-dissolve tablets are different from most other cold medicine that just treats symptoms; They’re clinically proven to shorten colds when taken at the first sniffle, sneeze and cough
- From Cold to No Cold Faster: Zicam Cold Remedy products are clinically proven to shorten colds when taken at the first sign, so you feel better, faster; Help calm your cold with Zicam Cold Remedy products like our nasal spray, swabs and RapidMelt tablets
- Zicam Homeopathic Remedies: Known for Zicam Cold Remedy products, we also offer products for homeopathic allergy relief and nasal congestion and sinus relief
- Zicam for Shorter Colds: Zicam homeopathic cold remedy is meant to be used in the beginning of a cold; Try Zicam the next time you feel the first sniffle, sneeze or cough of an oncoming cold; Satisfaction guaranteed
7. NOW Foods Zinc Glycinate Softgels - Best Chelated
Chelated zinc is a type of zinc supplement that uses a chelating agent to help your body absorb zinc more easily.
While there are several chelated zinc supplements on the market, one of the best options is NOW Foods’ Zinc Glycinate softgels.
Each softgel contains 30 mg of elemental zinc (from 150 mg of zinc bisglycinate) — a form of zinc that human and animal studies suggest may be better absorbed than other types of zinc. (Source, Source).
In addition, All NOW Foods supplements are certified by Underwriters Laboratories and follow GMP to ensure the quality and accuracy of their products. Additionally, these supplements tend to be more affordable than many other high quality brands.
8. Mary Ruth's Liquid Ionic Zinc
MaryRuth’s Liquid Ionic Zinc is a liquid dietary supplement that provides zinc in ionic form, meaning that zinc is found as ions in the solution.
- Ionic Zinc Liquid Drops by MaryRuth’s for Skin Health and Immune Support
- Pure Zinc Sulfate Supplement with Organic Glycerin for Adults & Kids
- Vegan, Non-GMO & Gluten Free | 40 Servings
- Per Serving (3 mL; ~4 Pumps): 11.25 mg Zinc (as Zinc Sulfate)
- Other Ingredients: Organic Glycerin (from Mustard Seed), Purified Water.
- Store in a cool, dry place. Keep out of reach of children in case of accidental overdose or choking.
- Free of Common Allergies: Liquid Ionic Zinc by MaryRuth’s is Non-GMO, Vegan, Made in a GMP Facility. Dairy Free, Nut Free, Gluten & Wheat Free, Soy Free, Corn Free, Nightshade Free, Sugar Free. Bariatric Friendly, Celiac Friendly, Kid Friendly.
Dosage : 11.25mg for 4 pumps (4 pumps per serving)
9. NutriGold Zinc Gold - Best Organic
If you’re looking for an organic zinc supplement, NutriGold’s Zinc Gold is one of the best options out there.
Each capsule contains 15 mg of whole-foods-based zinc that’s derived from an organic sprouted blend, which the supplement claims may be gentler on your stomach.
Additionally, NutritGold’s supplements are certified organic by SCS Global Services, an official partner of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that sets sustainability, quality, and organic standards.
Each product is also third-party tested, as well as non-GMO and vegan certified.
In addition, adults should take 1 capsule daily, or as directed by your healthcare provider.
10. Best Chewable Zinc Supplement 2021 - Zinc Gummies
- The First Gummy Supplement of its Kind – Zinc 50mg Gummy with Vitamin D3, Echinacea (2 Month Supply) – Made in USA
- Vitamin D with Zinc – Zinc Gummies 50mg for Adults Kids are an essential mineral supplement that are a powerful part of a healthy lifestyle. In addition, zinc supplements are powerful antioxidants that support a strong immune response, wound healing, cell production and many other vital functions of your body just like Elderberry, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin C & D3
- Powerful Zinc Chewable Immune Support – Taking Zinc Chewable Gummies each day can help make up for a lack of other nutrients in the diet such as vitimin D, vitamin C, vitamin A as well as Elderberry. Zinc immune support has been shown to be a highly absorbable form of zink, allowing for faster protection against normal illnesses.
- Zinc Supplements Gummies – Zinc Vitamins for Adults and Zinc Gummies for Kids can promote the production of collagen. Moreover, they may play a role in keeping your skin radiant and smooth. Immune Support Gummies Zinc wound-healing properties can be beneficial to maintaining skin’s elasticity throughout aging.
- Vegan Zinc Supplements – Taking zinc gummy vitamins for men women everyday may help promote longer deep sleep periods throughout the night. As a result, this zinc gummie supplement mineral vitamin helps to support your cognitive ability, mood, and energy levels. Moreover, Zinc gummie absorb faster into the bloodstream, since they are chewable, rather than taking zinc lozenge, pills or capsules, or liquid zinc.
11. Quercetin Zinc Vitamins C & D3 Bromelain Magnesium by Mt. Angel Vitamins - Best Immune Support Supplement
- 300 capsules: 5 – 10 months supply
- FORTIFIED FUNCTION – Sick of stuffy, sneezy, seasonal illnesses? Fight flare-ups with Mt. Angel Vitamins’ quercetin supplement! This nutrient blend helps boost better health so you can feel your best!
- OVERALL AID – Bolster your body AND mind! Quercetin with vitamin C and zinc are proven to provide immune support. Moreover, it also to improve metabolism, circulatory supporty, and cognitive clarity!
- BREATHE & BOUND – Revive your vitality! By fostering cellular functioning, your zinc quercetin capsules’ antioxidants enhance respiratory health and energy levels so you can enjoy activities!
- TAKE IT EASY – Support, meet simplicity. To enjoy extra defense, take 1 of your quercetin with bromelain and zinc capsules twice daily. Bursting with 300 capsules, your bottle lasts longer than most brands’.
12. Sheer Strength Labs High Potency Zinc
- 30mg Capsules
- Organic Zinc Supplements with Selenium for Men & Women
- Daily Vitamin Supplement for Maximum Nutrient Absorption & Energy Support
- 60 Gluten Free Veggie Caps
- Made in the USA: Follows strict cGMP guidelines and third party tested to ensure high quality, potency, and purity in each batch
Frequently Asked Questions
However, zinc has two standard dosages (Examine). The low dosage is 5-10mg, while the high dosage is 25-45mg. The low dose works well as a daily preventative, while the high dosage should be taken by anyone at risk for a zinc deficiency.
Different forms of zinc contain different amounts of elemental zinc, which refers to the weight of the zinc molecule by itself
(Note: Product labels tend to mark the elemental weight)
- Zinc citrate is approximately 34% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 146 mg zinc citrate. (Examine)
- Zinc sulfate consists 23% of elemental zinc; thus, 220 mg of zinc sulfate contains 50 mg of elemental zinc (NIH).
- Zinc gluconate is approximately 13% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 385 mg zinc gluconate. (Examine)
- Zinc monomethionine is approximately 21% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 238 mg zinc monomethionine. (Examine)
- Zinc picolinate (20% of elemental zinc) (Metabolics)
- Zinc ascorbate (15%) (Metabolics)
- Zinc chloride (48%) (Metabolics)
- Zinc carbonate (52%) (Metabolics)
- Zinc bisglycinate (25%) (Metabolics)
- Zinc oxide (80%) (FamilyPractice). Although the percentage of elemental zinc is high, do take note that zinc oxide is one of the least bioavailable form.
Do not take zinc supplements and copper, iron, or phosphorus supplements at the same time. It is best to space doses of these products 2 hours apart, to get the full benefit from each dietary supplement.
Copper and zinc compete for absorption sites in the small intestine. If there’s a lot of zinc around, copper tends to lose out and a copper deficiency may develop.
How much zinc should I take daily? As for dosage, the recommended daily dosage for adults is typically 15–30 mg of elemental zinc per day. Elemental zinc is generally the amount listed on the label of your supplement (Trusted Source, Trusted Source).
Taking too much zinc can cause adverse side effects, such as decreased immune function, low copper levels, and reduced HDL (good) cholesterol levels.
There are several types of zinc supplements. Some, such as zinc picolinate, may be better absorbed, while zinc acetate may be more effective at shortening the duration of the common cold (Trusted Source, Trusted Source).
Regarding the form, zinc supplements are available as capsules, lozenges, and liquids. For those who are unable or prefer not to swallow pills, liquid forms are likely a better option.
Before buying any supplement, it’s important to research high quality, trustworthy brands to ensure both safety and accuracy.
Look for supplements that are produced by reputable manufactures and free of large amounts of added ingredients like fillers, additives, and preservatives.
A good way to ensure the quality of a product is to look for ones that have been certified by a third-party company, such as NSF International or Underwriters Labs.
The bottom line
In short, Zinc is an essential nutrient that you need to get enough of in your diet. However, as not everyone is able to meet their need through foods alone, supplements can help reduce the risk of a zinc deficiency.
Of course, not all supplements are created equal. It’s important to look for high quality products that have been tested to ensure quality and accuracy.
Most importantly, if you’re concerned about your zinc intake, it’s worth speaking with your healthcare provider to see if a zinc supplement is a good option, as well as to determine an optimal dose.